Search This Blog

Monday 6 July 2020

Post 131

I promised to write a bit more about the book on the Australian Quaker Narrative Embroidery Project that I have borrowed from Junette. It tells the story of the Project from its conception in 2005 to the completion of 20 panels in 2019.

Usefully, it outlines the debates and discussions within the Society of Friends about committing resources of time, money and energy to a project of narrative embroidery.  There are lessons in here for any group considering a major community project.

The section on the process of producing the panels - deciding on and sourcing fabric and thread, design, the concept of ‘cartoons’, limiting stitches, sharing the work - is really interesting and helpful. I am still not sure how the design is transferred from the calico backing to the wool fabric, but in every other way the process is thoroughly outlined. 

The second part of the book outlines and shows the 20 panels completed by 2019 and the 12 panels under production at that time. I found the latter especially interesting. It's really helpful to see the outline, some background and a detail of embroidery.

Also of particular interest is the discussion to the completed Cotton panel, which enshrines a view of Frances Cotton’s recording of Aboriginal stories in Tasmania. This was believed to be true when the panel was stitched but is now known to be untrue. All credit to the compiler for detailing and discussing the issue. Hopefully, when the 40 panels are finished, the book will be updated and include a further discussion of the issue and a way of resolving it. It is a really important issue which can’t be avoided in projecting a view of history. I'm keen to know how the Society works it through.



Meanwhile, I finished the Muncaster Oranges. It is currently being blocked.

















I had postal success today. The missing books were delivered (no explanation - but I'm not asking) and  Rabbits at Dawn, not available when Phillipa sent my package of linens, arrived.




Another job today was fixing my boot, the sole of which I noticed was coming away from the upper at the toe.

It didn't seem to need a trip to the repairer, so I have glued and clamped it. I do hope it works - they are so comfortable and useful.





I have many projects to choose from as my next one. Do I go back to the Nicola birds, continue with the Crewel linens, finish the Owl or do some knitting?

For the moment knitting has won.
I've been itching to work on this Adagio Mill kit I bought last year. Adagio process alpaca for local producers in  Orange NSW.  It is lovely to work with. The kit is in natural greys. It's also a chance to work with the new set of circular needles I bought with birthday money from a friend in January.



Tonight I finished the first stage- 70 rows to establish one end of what is an irregular triangle. Tomorrow I get to change colour!

That's when I get back from the hairdresser,

No comments:

Post a Comment