Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 July 2020

Post 133 A Crewel Day

This morning, first up, I sent out my Wednesday World Embroidery Group email. It contained the presentation we'd have had face-to-face had we not been locked down. It was a broad look at Storytelling through embroidery, prepared with great care by a member of the group.



Once the email had gone I took the plunge and cut the blocked Muncaster Orange fabric to fit on my chair and pinned it on.




Then came the slightly tricky bit of taking the cover off the chair. Next I had to pin it on properly and stitch it.















As I was taking the cover off,  I realised that the there was space here for the Phillipa’s Redwork Rabbit, which I’ve had in kit form since March 2019. I got out the kit and tested the placement. Since it is an effort to get the cover on and off the chair, it seemed sensible to stitch it straight away and applique it on today before I put the chair back on.













It took me a couple of hours. I didn’t stitch the buttonhole outline as close as Phillipa’s.  I wanted to see the stitches rather than a more solid outline.






It was an easy matter to cut out the rabbit, pin and stitch it.





















Putting the cover back on is more tricky. It needs a bit of manipulating.  I'm glad I thought of the apple.

This is my current plan for the next stage. The purple blobs on the rim will be feathers from the Tumbling Feathers cushion. The red and purple squiggle on the cushion will be the  Jacobean Sampler that I am currently stitching. The red circle (well, oval then) is to be the Elizabethan Acorns. At the moment the yellow on the skirt is planned to be, from left, RabbitsRabbits at Dawn and Oak Apple Tree

I'm now highly motivated to get on with it. So there was no knitting tonight, while I progressed the Jacobean sampler. It's very pleasant to be pursuing my own thing with this.  Fortunately, Crewel is very forgiving so I can afford to play and experiment a little.



The sunset created clouds that fuel imagination. Perhaps there's scope for embroidery of stories in the clouds!


No sign of Myrtle and Turtle today. I did see the Noisy Myna on the trees behind my apartment and plenty of birds wheeling in the sky. I think the doves are preoccupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment