Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 August 2020

Post 160

It was a sunny day in Adelaide, if, for Adelaide, cold.  A maximum of 14C for Adelaide is a cold day. I stayed inside, mostly embroidering and reading.

This book arrived in the mail. It is a mixture of identification of references to embroidery and textiles in medieval, or pre-medieval texts such as the Saga of Ragnar Lodbrog, Piers Plowman and Beowulf. To this she adds stanzas by Kipling, Sherrington, Lowell and Allingham. The bulk of the book is an exploration, in thread, of flora and fauna mentioned in literature and often embroidered.  It is illustrated with Helen Stevens’ own illustrations and embroidery suggestions. I’d have liked a bit more exploration of the literary context of embroidery, but there are some very useful embroidery hints, such as the ears of wheat in page 77.


Most of my day was spent on the counted bag. I managed to finish the second side of the bag. It is, I think, coming on well. The spacing in the middle motif is different on the two sides. Neither is the recommended one. The next one will be exactly correct, but I think the last one will be a repeat of today’s, which is so far my favourite .



I also conducted a bit of an experiment with a mask to see it I could make one for a friend who is, in fact, exempt from the need to wear on.  I  might discuss it further once my friend has tried it.








In order to stitch the mask I had to replenish my bobbins. I used up everyone I had making masks over the last week or so. There was nothing for it but to fill myself a supply. I managed to fill 11 bobbins with white thread before the call of the Repair Shop got too strong. 









No knitting today, just a focus on the squares. The next couple of days are forecast to be colder than today and to rain. No complaints about that. Sounds like embroidery weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment