Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 August 2020

Post 161: Bobbins, birds and builders

Most of my morning, after an editing conversation with my brother, was spent filling 70 bobbins.  I now have a full quota of bobbins in my bobbin containers. I also have about 10 bobbins with small amounts of thread stored in the bobbin holder in my machine cabinet, along with a few spare empty bobbins.














When I had finished, I also tidied up my very messy machine cabinet ( well, the top surface anyway). It hasn't looked as tidy as this for a long time.












The building noise was well in the background for most of the day. A check mid-afternoon showed a number of very large holes, waiting, presumably for cement.



While checking out the building from my balcony, I checked on the blooms on the succulents. The flowers on this one are getting close to opening.



















My favourite, however, is this one that is showing its  open face.to the sun.

I began work on the third side of the Christine Bishop counted thread box before setting out to friends' place for dinner. By the time I've done four sides I'll be able to do it from memory. The trouble is I am unlikely to do it again to benefit!



I took my knitting with me to dinner (easy to manage and be sociable). I've now completed another 10 row pattern sequence.







I think I was right to choose a simple pattern that allows the colour of the wool to dominate.



There was a full moon riding high over the city as I drove home.  It is very hard to photograph the moon - but you get some interesting effects.

I've been reading Jennifer Ackerman's The Bird Way  and finding it fascinating. Today's revelation was that, while it has long been assumed that it is the male songbird that sings, female song occurs in two thirds of 1147 songbird species surveyed in 2014, and is equally complex and strong. This is particularly so in Australia from where all songbirds are now believed to originate. It appears that  female northern hemisphere songbirds lost their song in the process of evolution. It is believed that this was because, as breeding migrants, they do not need to establish and maintain territory in breeding seasons as residents do. Birds that remained in the Southern hemisphere retained singing females.

More tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment