Search This Blog

Thursday 6 August 2020

Post 162 : out and about with purpose

Today’s take from The Bird Way is that birds communicate quite complex information in their alarm calls, such as the specific nature of a predator  (for example, snake, raptor, dog)m whether it’s in the ground, in the sky or in the trees, and what stage of its hunt it is in ( for example, surveying, searching, swooping).
The calls also signal instructions- flee or gather ( to mob the predator). The calls can be combined, in specific order resembling a grammar. Experiments have established that calls can be taught and learned. Much of the significant research in this area has been done at the Australian National University and the Canberra Botanic Gardens. It’s giving me new ways of viewing the Noisy Miner and doves. 

While I spent time reading this morning, I had, for me in this time, a relatively busy day. I have swapped my Pilates day from Friday to Thursday. I have been going to Pilates on Friday for so long that I had a lot of trouble believing today was Thursday. I went to North Adelaide before Pilates to get the ingredients for my muesli and a bit more fruit. 

On the way from the shopping centre to Pilates at around 11.45am, I passed a very active booze bus on Memorial Drive. This seemed an odd thing at that time and place. A friend, however, pointed out that there’s now evidence that marihuana stays in the system for well over 12 hours and police are focusing on drug-affected driving. This is the first time I’ve seen testing at this time of the day on a weekday.

Pilates was good. Only four of us with Rosalie. It’s always good to have a change of instructor to give a new emphasis. 

After Pilates I drove to Port Adelaide to the Yarn Trader. The point of one needle in the set of bamboo needles I bought here in February had a split in the point, which caught on the yarn at every stitch. I wasn’t sure if the shop would do anything about it. They were, however, unhesitating in replacing it from another set, which they will send back to the supplier. Great service. 



On my way out I was very careful not to be beguiled by this shawl, which I think is truly, truly beautiful.





From there I want to the Anchor for a quick lunch, then to a mask-making friend’s place to deliver elastic. She is making masks for family in Melbourne and neighbours. 

Lee’s elastic is being put to good use!

Jennifer had her balloon insertion operation today. The news from the hospital is that there is little to report and she is sleeping. There should be more news tomorrow.

I progressed the third side of the counted thread box while finishing the last of the delicious organic free trade chocolate from my food box from last week. 



What more could I want? 

No comments:

Post a Comment