Search This Blog

Sunday 30 August 2020

Post 186 perching birds


The loud cooing began a couple of hours after dawn.

Turtle was back, on the balcony rail, pecking at the seed, but flying off before I could replenish it.








He was soon back but heading straight for my wall garden where he settled himself in one of the top planters, cooing for all he was worth.










He was soon joined by Myrtle. Now both were singing the same set of notes, over and over, he sitting in one bin, she in the next one. It was tricky to photograph from inside ( glad I had the windows cleaned!). If you look closely you can see Turtle on the left, head down in the bin and tail against the wall.

Neither were interested in seed. Neither made any effort to gather sticks or construct a nest . They just made a lot of noise.

Myrtle took off. Turtle stayed on for a bit, exploring the wall garden..


He didn't appear to be looking for food, nor was he hiding from a predator, and I don't think it was nesting behaviour.











 I am pleased to see them back, but I don't understand the behaviour.

I think I need to finish reading The Way of Birds.











It began as a grey day with cloud  cover over the Hills. The Hills appeared later in the day but the weather stayed much the same.

I went to North Adelaide to get more fruit and some meat for tomorrow. The butcher had crumbed Frenched lanb cutlets so I had a couple of those for my tea.

I'm still reading The Paper Bark Tree Mystery which I am enjoying.  I like Ovidia Yu's wisdom through Su Lin's commentary.

As for Asian culture, most of the people in Singapore were descended from those driven out of their original homeland by poverty or politics. They had not carried culture in their boats, only what they needed for survival. It was years later I realised the drive to survive is at the heart of Singapore culture. P187

 This one, How can we believe it happened if we don’t know what it was?. refers to the reported death of a much loved and respected police officer. It made me think about Covid denial,  how we dispel ignorance and also how we come to community knowledge of what it is. 


I haven't finished the book, because my Icelandic Endless knot took over.

I finished two of the quadrants of the Helm of Awe embroidery and moved on to the third. The latter is not quite finished,












This is getting easier as I go along.


I did promise to include Christine's Opus Anglicanum figure over the weekend. I haven't forgotten but am saving it for a day with less activity and bird drama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment