Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 September 2020

Post 188 Scanning and constructing

There was some early activity on the building site this morning so I was surprised to hear the doves coo-ing on the roof. Myrtle put in an appearance on my balcony rail, but flew away as soon as I tried to put out seed.

By the end of the day the seed was all gone, so the doves are still around.

I spent the morning at Jennifer's place discussing how to scan photo albums. Jennifer has even more albums than I do (which is saying something). Before I left my previous home I scanned a couple of albums and created printed photo books. I intended to do this for all the albums I have, but hadn't got to it.  It is a task Jennifer and I had agreed to encourage each other to do this year. I am having trouble at the moment connecting my flatbed scanner but couldn't do that either. I've also used a scanning app on my phone, but it works better for documents than for photos. I think I will need to either take my laptop and scanner to the Apple shop at Norwood or get in one of the Geeks on Call.

We had lunch on Jennifer's balcony. Their plants are thriving. This cyclamen is laden with flowers, and I loved the way the buds are folded up tightly - a bit like a parachute.


Back at home I stitched the edges of the Icelandic pouch together on the outside using long-armed cross stitch. It seemed the appropriate stitch and lends itself  to joining two edges.
Then I joined the edges in the lining, using machine thread.

















I had not intended to create this kind of opening, but the completed Helm of Awe circle suggested it to me.













It creates a kind of pouch-bag. In this case the circle sits over the opening and the endless knot fits perfectly on the back.












It needs a fastening. I decided on loops and a drawstring - such as was found on examples in historical collection of Icelandic clothing.

I created a twisted cord from all the Appleton's wools in the Endless Knot design.


The appropriate stops on the ends of the cord would have been an Icelandic lava bead, but I didn't have those, so I used bone buttons, which seemed in keeping.









I'm pretty pleased with the result. I've returned to my knitting for the remainder of this evening. Tomorrow I need to pay attention to some bills, organising my tax, solving the scanner puzzle,  reduce the backlog of emails in my inbox,read the articles I bought on Icelandic embroidery. and the books for September bookclub.


Or I could start the crewel work in my hoop.





No comments:

Post a Comment