Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 September 2020

Post 195 Mostly photos

Today's goal was to buy photo archive boxes and begin to organise the photos I am scanning. I had found the boxes online at a company called Albox, in Manton St Hindmarsh, not far from where we lived for 30 years.

I drove past it at first. It is buried in a complex under the (literal) banner of Signarama - a franchise of sign makers. Preview plastics is also located there.  Compatible businesses.

The polypropylene box is what I had hoped, and they also make polypropylene dividers.

The reception area of the complex is full of signs - mostly about about Covid. This seems to be another of the minority of industries whose products have been in demand as a result of the pandemic.








I bought four boxes and four sets of dividers to get me started and enable me to work out what I will need.










From there I went to Norwood to pick up the last two books I had ordered for last week's birthdays.

While there were people about, and the car park pretty full, it did not seem crowded.



The weather was dull and overcast,  nowhere near as warm as yesterday.





Back at home I labelled dividers for the 203 photos I have scanned so far and placed them in a box to see how much space they occupied. They take up no more that 20% of the box, so I think the box will hold at least 1000 photos.

Next I went through all my photo albums and sorted them, putting sticky labels on the spine to help me. As I expected, there is another whole album covering the 80s.  Since I began here I have opted to scan this album next.  I removed all its photos   - about 310 in all.

I think I can cull some of these as I go. Some scenic shots, and the terrible photos of birds I attempted to take can go. There are, however, many memories amongst these photos. There are also a couple of documents that I will need to accommodate.

So I calculate this first box will hold at least two decades- but will chew up the dividers.

Now I can dispose of two albums.


I set the photo organising and scanning aside when the sun set and shifted to embroidery. I realised tonight that the name 'Serenity' which appears on the cover of Inspirations along with this project, refers to the Issue and not this project, which is called Caterina. I need to amend my blog post references to it.

I am beginning to get the hang of Caterina. It requires constant checking of thread counts and the relationship of each part, but it's possible to do this as you go.

I'm encouraged by completing the first round of the outside row for one quadrant - essentially a quarter of the stitching for one quarter of the mat!

Tomorrow the World Embroidery Study Group meets to discuss Icelandic Embroidery- should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment