Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 September 2020

Post 210

It was very showery this morning. I had the Vergola roof closed overnight so while the rain had driven in and wet the plants, the metre close to the door and windows was dry. After Myrtle and Turtle (looking a fairly normal size) paid a quick reconnaissance visit, I placed some seed in the dry space, further from the balcony edge than usual.





The  building work had started early, delivering the continuous  drone of a jack hammer in the corner near my back balcony.









It did not deter Myrtle, who returned about 20 minutes later and cautiously eyed the seed, dry but further from escape.







She approached the periphery











and worked quickly, pausing briefly to listen.


The drill droned on but her ear was not attuned to that.




She took a walk around, sampling the rain water,





surveyed the scene



then took a seed top up before returning to the rail and departing.


At midday a Guild friend picked me up on the corner to meet another friend at the Glenelg Surf Club for lunch. I waited sitting on a wall near a 15 minute parking space where my friend could pull in. Twice I made my way towards a car that pulled in only to find an alarmed looking young man who pulled quickly away on my approach. Guess I should have taken note of what car my friend drives! 

I forgot to take photos at the surf club, which has a very large dining room, with extremely well-spaced tables and a great view of the sea, which was very choppy today.  There were not many occupied tables, plenty of hand sanitiser and marked  places for standing to order and pay. We had a really relaxed catch up lunch.


Back at home I got out my mask-making gear and cut out three masks. I promised these to the elastic lady - the Guild member who, knowing I was making masks a couple of months ago, gave me two bags of elastic. I expect to see her on Saturday so need to get on with it. I have time to make them on Friday morning, but having them cut out puts me in the mindset.








The rain held off long enough for me to get yesterday's washing dry in the wind. I managed to get a decent photo of the tiny flower on the aloe. It's about 2cm long. It's an interesting colour palette and a lovely shape.

I received news from a cousin in England tonight that our Aunty Phyllis, the last of my father’s siblings, died this morning. She was 91. My image of Phyllis is that of the photo I scanned last week, taken on Boxing Day 1984 at her home in London. Her Christmas cards were always  the ones with the most glitter - as was she.

RIP Phyllis.
I finished the inner row of Catherine de Medici stitch tonight. There are still the corners to do. It won't take long to do those.They actually look quite good .  I have also begun the border line.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to the Crewel Group meeting at the Guild. I have numerous printed linens ready to be worked and attached to my chair.

There's more rain on the forecast.













No comments:

Post a Comment