Search This Blog

Sunday 20 September 2020

Post 207

I had, for me, a busy Sunday morning. My cleaner arrived at 9.00 and at 9.30 I left for the Crime Book Club meeting at Uncle Albert's cafe at Norwood. I managed to find a park under a Banksia tree. They are looking fabulous at the moment.









The Book Club meeting was good. We sat outside at Uncle Alberts. I had nominated this month's books which were any one of Ovidia Yu's Aunty Lee series and/or Crown Colony series and The Brisbane Line by J P Powell. I chose the latter from a pre-publication review.  I heard stories from my mother about US servicemen in Sydney during WWII. I also knew that between 1943 and 1945 there were up to  one million US servicemen in Australia - 10% of the population at the time. I did not know, however, about the Brisbane Line - the alleged line of defence should the Japanese invade Australia. Nor did I realise the concentration of US troops in and around Brisbane, which was the US headquarters in Australia.  Unfortunately, I don't think The Brisbane Line  works as either fiction or history. A pity.


I did a bit of shopping in Norwood after the meeting and headed home to more scanning.

This morning, my early visitor was Myrtle, who did quite a lot of both three-note and four-note coo-ing before pecking up most of the seed and taking off.





My scanning went well. I managed to remove all the remaining photos from the album pages using Desolve It. I got them scanned with the exception of some 20-30 that are damaged. I scanned 167 today, and got them all filed away and labelled.  I haven't counted the photos in the archive box, but estimated from the first 100 that the box will comfortably hold 1100 photos with 40 dividers.  I have 20-30 damaged photos I plan to scan on the flatbed tomorrow and add to the archive box which I can then label as 1970s & 1980s.
movement of both bird and tree.

Late this afternoon we had a sudden squall with heavy wind gusts. As I was bringing in my washing the wind was whipping tree branches around violently. The tiny red dot in the photo is a Rosella clinging on for grim death and being tossed around on the branch. There must have been some gourmet seed there for the Rosella to persevere. The photo in no way captures the movement of either bird or tree.



The wind apparently caused quite a bit of damage before it died down as quickly as it had arisen.

It was another spectacular sunset.

I have achieved a tiny bit of progress on Caterina. Scanning sure takes it out of me!












No comments:

Post a Comment