Search This Blog

Friday 25 September 2020

Post 212


Priority today was to make two or three masks for the Guild's Elastic Lady, who I expect to see tomorrow at the Certificate Course Workshop. Since I'd cut them out yesterday it took me less than an hour to stitch these. I added elastic, but left it  untied so it can be adjusted to fit.

I used a selection of elastic, including a very fancy stripe, that went well with the navy Japanese fabric.

Hope she likes them.


Before making the masks I went to the Post Office to pick up the parcel I missed yesterday. I was expecting three deliveries today but couldn't work out what this one was.

It turned out to be a couple of pre-publication copies of my brother's new book - the one for which I mentioned doing a bit of research and writing. I like almost everything about it - the cover, the size, the feel, the layout, organisation - the concept and content. It is not due for release until early November.

It turned out to be a book kind of day. Two of the three parcels that arrived were books.




I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the packaging used by some bookshops.  The one on the left, which arrived this morning, was a stiff cardboard package one and a half times the length of my 30 cm shoe by two times the length of my shoe. It won't fit in my letterbox, which means, if I am not home to let the postman in, it can't be left. The book inside was 20cmx 20cm. 


Later in the day, another book was delivered, in a paper PO package. The book inside was roughly similar size and it went in my letterbox easily.The larger packaging might be easier at the dispatch end, but it is annoyingly inconvenient at the delivery end. for those of us who live in secure apartments.

The large annoying parcel contained this book, which featured on the Guild's FaceBook page a week ago because it contains a cross-stitch portrayal of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  I got it because Niamh talked a lot about RBG last week, and I thought it might come in handy.. It contains cross-stitch faces of 20 women, 13 from the USA  and 7 from other countries. None from Australia.Perhaps we should create an Australian version. I'll see what Niamh says.

The other book to arrive was by Adelaide artist Peter Drew, who created the poster of Monga Khan to challenge the stereotype of an Aussie, and, with the help of volunteers,  put them all over Australia . His book documents his experiences in so doing. I supported the campaign and am interested in reading his account

I had hoped to make significant progress on the Caterina project today, but did none of it before I visited a neighbour to discuss photo scanning. We, of course, discussed a lto more than that. It was a relaxing and pleasant afternoon







It was a cold day with some rain and wind.







This evening I finished the embroidery on the Caterina mat, and moved on to the hem. \Unfortunately, I stuffed up the double backstitch on the outer perimeter and will have to unpick it.

 You would think I'd learn to stop when I'm tired!


Still, the mat is looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment