Search This Blog

Sunday 4 October 2020

Post 221 Birds, Rabbits and a lost hour.

The day began fairly bright and sunny and, as forecast, became overcast and threatened rain in the early afternoon. It was also our daylight saving commencement morning, so I dutifully tried to adjust myself and the four timepieces that don't automatically adjust.

I could hear doves calling, so sprinkled a little of the seeds I had cadged from my daughter's chickens last night. To my astonishment, when I returned from preparing my breakfast there was a dove sitting on the tiles of my balcony. I have never seen this behaviour before. I had the door open and only the fly screen between me and the balcony so proceeded very cautiously. I managed to take a photo before she (I'm pretty sure it was Myrtle) flew away. Some of the seed was gone, but by no means all.


It turned out to be a good bird day. I did some washing and hung it out before heading off to North Adelaide to get some milk and a bit more fruit. By the time I returned it was overcast with a few drops of rain, so I checked on the washing.

 The lorikeets were out in force, screeching and wheeling, except for one who was tucking into something on my nearest  tree.


I can't, I'm afraid, resist photographing these birds. I spent so many years trying unsuccessfully to capture birds in photos from the ground. The opportunity presented by being almost on their level is too good for me to miss.


It is such a privilege to see them like this. As I write this I am holding my breath. The text and the photos seem to be going where I want them!

It's not all smooth sailing though. I usually load photos from my phone or iPad, then add text on my laptop. Synchronising the two has just resulted in a doubling, instead of an updating of the post!

Still, three cheers for the Blogger developers who do seem to be listening to feedback and trying to fix.

I spent much of the afternoon finishing Rabbits at Dawn. I really loved doing this last section. It was large enough to get a good run on blending threads.


This is, of course, the first of four of these panels destined to go along the front of my Crewel chair.

I couldn't wait to try it out.








This is a very crude placement. It will need to be carefully appliqued by hand, to blend with the hillocks above.

I'm hoping to match the next panel up with it to form a single border of rabbits. I think I might need to add an extra bit of hillock and another rabbit.  Exciting.



While I was testing this out, I noticed a young dove, Blush, I think,  arrive, explore a bit and test the remaining seed. The rain was beginning in earnest, so probably a good time to visit without being chased away.

I managed to finish scanning the album of my 1995 visit to the USA. 245 photos scanned relatively easily and the photos filed in the 1990s archive box. So interesting to be reminded of the schools I visited.  The children whose learning I observed would now be between 35 and 40.




I have made a start on the next panel of rabbits, hoping to be able to match this edge to the end of the finished one. It is now raining steadily and the temperature has dropped a bit.

I'm pleased with my day. I haven't really noticed the missing hour!







No comments:

Post a Comment