Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 October 2020

Post 223 Mostly fabric







Today's focus was on an afternoon helping Brigid to turn one of her school uniforms into an outfit for  her end of school Celebration Day. This is, apparently a tradition, not just at her school, but at many girls' schools in Adelaide. It wasn't a tradition when I was a principal, but that, of course, was an eon ago.

I needed a pattern for her idea (which I can't reveal, but will try to post a photo on the day) and sourced one at Spotlight Melrose Park (gone are the days when you could get a full range of patterns at any fabric shop in town) so headed off around 10.00am. There were quite a few people about but all mindful of their movements and distancing. 

I've also had an idea about Christmas, and was after seersucker. No joy at Spotlight, which no longer stocks it ('old fashioned') so I visited Trish's Fabric Warehouse around the corner. Again, people were behaving well, although it is much harder to distance here because there is barely room to move. This photo is from Trish's website. I didn't think to take one today. There were maybe another 5 or 6 people there and we managed to dodge each other.

Trish came good with seersucker, though only a choice of two.  As she said herself, they are not the most exciting colours, but I accept the challenge! More on this later.

From Trish's I called at Create in Stitch for a few more skeins of Appleton's wools. I've been working with what I have for the Rabbits at Dawn, which is working quite well, but I have four of them to do, and want a bit of colour variation in my greens in particular.

There was a group there stitching with Di Kirshner - so good to see women sitting, well distanced, relaxed and sharing. 


Brigid and I had a bit of fun creating her Celebration  outfit. She had a clear idea of what she wanted, which always helps.  I look forward to sharing the results when the day comes. 

Tonight I finished most of the second hoop of my second Rabbits at Dawn. 

It is good to have a few more choices of shades of green from my purchases today.







I have moved the hoop on to the last bit - an extension so the piece will reach to the edge of the seat of the chair.

I'm conscious that some who read this blog are not able to do some of the things I am able to do - like visiting shops or a friend's home, or having lunch at a cafe or restaurant. We are very fortunate here in South Australia. We do live with restrictions, and I, and most people I know (who, other than family, tend to be in my age group) are cautious and very restrained in where we go and what we do. We think carefully about every activity, every trip outside our doors. 

I had an email a few days ago from my friend Sandra in Manchester saying that reading of my freedoms gave her hope. This is a huge relief to me. I would hate to appear to be blasé about it . I take nothing for granted and evaluate very carefully where I go and when. I am, however, grateful, for all I have - especially my friends in many places and over many years. Even in isolation those friendships keep me sane and grounded.


No comments:

Post a Comment