Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 October 2020

Post 224 Music and Art



  






Converging Currents: Bark Paintings from Arnhem Land 


I had seen photos of Chihara Shiota's Absence embodied.  
It was something else to be in the midst of it, surrounded by fibres.



After 30C last week, today's forecast was 15C and rain. It certainly began in line with the forecast. No birds around this morning. It only made it to 14C.

I was to meet a friend at Elder Hall, in the grounds of Adelaide University on North Terrace in the CBD, at 11am to hear the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra in their lunchtime Mozart at Elder concert series.

I had intended to catch the free city loop bus. While I used this bus frequently pre-Covid, I haven't ventured on board since it resumed service a couple of months ago. This morning, in the face of the rain, the footpath being blocked off by the building work, and consideration of whether I needed to wear a mask, I hesitated. I checked out the car parking option opposite Elder Hall and discovered there was an option to book parking online for less than half the normal drive-in cost. I went with this option.

The next debate was what to wear. I settled on layers, a black skivvy, a new top, and eventually a waterproof jacket. It still felt cold, so I added the lovely soft white scarf Vivienne gave me for my birthday. It served me really well - feels fantastic and kept me toasty warm in the neck area. 

The necklace made for me by a granddaughter matched brilliantly.


The parking arrangement worked well, very easy and convenient.


This concert series has been rescheduled because of Covid. To socially distance the audience on a chequerboard pattern, we were offered either a morning or afternoon performance. This is the first live concert I've been to since February and it was fantastic. I had not heard either of the first two pieces and loved them both, especially the Anton Webern.   

Carolyn and I had lunch at the Art Gallery. It was a bit odd. They are limited, under their Covid Safe Plan, to 20 chairs in the cafe. Staff had to juggle with other tables to find our second chair. We were also told we'd need to leave before we had coffee because someone was waiting for the table, but that was not enforced when someone else left and freed a table.  We were just happy to be able to catch up safely. 

After our lunch I visited two of the exhibitions, both spectacular. The Bark Paintings are from the permanent collection, and well curated.  Really interesting.

It's still cold and raining, but today's excursion warmed the cockles of my heart, as my mother would have said.
I have spent the evening on the last section of the second Rabbits panel. There are a few bits to finish, but it's getting close. It will be very exciting to block the two panels and put them together. Tomorrow.

















No comments:

Post a Comment