Search This Blog

Monday 2 November 2020

Post 249 Food and Food for Thought.

 

The jacaranda at the back is a bit further in bloom - and the marigolds are holding their own.






















The white pigface that Margaret gave me is on the left. It has a very slight pink tinge in the centre of the petals. 


The one on the right is the one I bought. It's so interesting to see these slight variations in plants. I wonder what will happen with these two close to each other. Will they blend? Jennifer Ackerman, in The Bird Way, argues that individual variation in birds brings resilience. I wonder if this is also true of plants?



I hung out the washing I did yesterday, and went shopping at Frewville for bakery items for after-school snacks and fruit for my breakfast before coming home and preparing the pastitsio.  

Brigid's Maths Method exam went well this morning and she went home to continue study for the next one on Thursday. Her dinner went home with the rest of the family.



I got a bit more work done on the Rabbits before dinner and moved the hoop.

I was excited by the email from the Crewel Work Company yesterday to say the Aesop's Fable kit - which Phillipa had originally intended to teach at Beating Around the Bush last month, is almost ready for sale. I had booked into the course, and have reserved the back of my Crewel chair for this piece. There is now a bit of an incentive to finish the smaller pieces I have for the gaps in the rest of the chair so I can start straight away on the Aesop. Looks as if Crewel will be part of my life for a while to come.




It was an interesting sky tonight - great sky, with what looks like a giant handprint.


It has struck me several times that the title of this blog, England 2020, is a misnomer. It was appropriate when I set it up for a trip to England in late February, less so for the rest of the year in Adelaide.  Yesterday I was struck by the perversity of the title  when here in Australia we had no new community-based Covid cases and England announced a month's lock-down.  

The title and circumstances of  this blog bind me to England this year. Some of my activities - photo scanning, embroidery and bits of family history also bind me, causing me to think about my heritage. It's not something I've really thought through before and I'm not sure where it will take me. 2020 may prove to refer to vision as well as a visit and pandemic.

I have progressed the Rabbits a little. There's a chance I might finish it tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment