Search This Blog

Thursday 5 November 2020

Post 252 Mostly Myrtle and a little linen.

 It took most of the day to put this collection together. It's the requirement for Carol Mullan's Counted Saskiko 'Perle Cottons Keep' Class this coming Sunday.

 The basic requirement is a piece of 28 count linen marked out with 4 thread tacking to directions. To find the what 28 count linen I had, I ended up emptying my linen, silks and sundry fabric drawer onto the floor and sorting it out. I've known for a while this needed to be done. Today was the day.  I now have a fairly tidy drawer of various linens, trigger cloth, and huckaback. There is a pile of silk still on the floor, waiting for me to find a container and make a space for it.

It turned out the only 28 count I have left is some dark red Lugarno. I have a dark blue piece of Jobelan that is labelled 28 count, but in fact is 32. At the end of the clean-out, I decided the red was fine.  I also need one skein of stranded cotton in a colour that will show up. I couldn't get it down to one, but three will do. The Liberty print is for the lining.

Before emptying the drawer I blocked the Rabbits. I have tightened them this evening. They are very slightly damp so I haven't tried to put them together.
While I was trying to get the tacking started, Myrtle turned up and began eating the left-over seed from yesterday.  She allowed me to add seed. 

She was very alert to the various bird noises around.

Between the linen and Myrtle, I was late for Pilates.  Afterwards I went to North Adelaide to get more fruit and veg. When I got home there was another notice from the Post Office saying I'd missed a parcel.

Reluctantly, I decided I couldn't pick it up after 4 today. 

Yesterday the periodontist practice rang to say they had a cancellation at 4.40 this afternoon if I wanted it. I accepted. The practice is 4 blocks away from where I live - in the opposite direction to the Post Office. I considered driving, but couldn't count on being able to park, so I put off picking up the parcel until tomorrow.   

 I stopped in the Square to photograph the bark on a tree.  

So lovely.


The result of the periodontist visit is an appointment to have one molar removed in February. The root has split around the post inserted some 20+ years ago - a result of the technology of the time.

Back at home, recovering from the periodontist, I noticed Myrtle again. this time really exploring the balcony. I'm not 100% sure that it was Myrtle, and not Blush grown more mature. Either way, the exploration is new.  Not only that, but she kept flying away - to the roof, or away across the trees - then returning for more exploration. It reminded me of a teacher on yard duty - covering all the spaces, but dashing back to the staffroom, or classroom to check that all is well, or to grab a coffee. 



She let me open the door. I wondered if she was trying to tell me something. Was she after water?

She let me step out onto the balcony without her flying away. 


When she flew off next time I filled the water dish.  She did drink next time she returned

All in all, she returned 7 times and explored most of the balcony, eating a bit of seed along the way - but not all of it, and seemingly less important than the exploration. It is the first time I have stepped fully out on to the balcony with one of the doves. I didn't move a lot, but it was a moment of presence and acceptance.
I spent most of the evening finishing the tacking on the linen - and  writing this post. It's been an odd kind of day. I'm hoping to read some more of The Survivors before I fall asleep, but suspect that won't happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment