Search This Blog

Friday 6 November 2020

Post 253 Mostly rabbits, a seagull and a bat

This morning I removed the pins from the 2 blocked Rabbits panels and joined them together before placing them on the cushion cover. It was only then that I realised I would need to complete the hillocks on either end. Otherwise the hillocks end suddenly before the end of cushion front.  I should have thought of this before blocking - even before taking the panels out of the hoop.

I had been intending to attach the panel to the cushion this morning and take the completed cushion to Sit 'n Stitch to show my friends.

I set to work to finish the hillocks. I had put away the green wools, so had to find them and match the colours, sketch on the hillock shape and get stitching.

When it came to time to leave for Sit'n Stitch, I had just finished the hillocks. Although I frequently work without a hoop, just holding embroidery in my hand, it's not an easy way of working crewel, because it is difficult to manage the tension. This however, had to be worked in hand because it is at the edge of the fabric.  Reluctantly, at this point, I decided to leave this at home and take my knitting to Sit 'n Stitch.

I had decided not to rush to the Post Office to pick up the parcel I missed yesterday but to pick it up on my way to Sit 'n Stitch. I only needed to drive around the block once to get a parking space outside the Post Office. When I got to the counter, I discovered the parcel had been taken to another Post Office, not my nominated local one. I had not checked the notification, just assuming it was my nominated one. So I drove the 2 km to the Hutt St PO and got the parcel.
It was, as I had thought, the Jos Hendriks book on Assisi work. I didn't have time to read it, as I was already late for Sit'n Stitch. I have now had a quick look but still haven't had a serious read. It looks as if it might prove to be the basis of yet another World Embroidery Study Group discussion. There are wahat look like useful chapters on the history and style as well as beautiful colour designs. It is not a workbook.

At Sit'n Stitch I helped Jennifer cut out two knitting needle rolls before I got on with my knitting.  
On the way home I swung past the beach. It was sunny, but windy. Relaxing to breath sea air. 

I had to slow for a seagull on the road. 






Back at home I read an article about a Queensland farmer who planted 40.000 sunflower seeds on his property and created a message to be seen from the air, to cheer people up.  
My single pot of sunflowers have a similar effect!

The sun went down a bit like thunder tonight and I was just in time to catch a bat returning to the bat roosting tree.

After dinner I got to work attaching the rabbits. It took about 3 hours.







This, I think, finishes the cushion. I have 3 more pieces to add to the skirt (one finished) and the feathers to attach (currently pinned) before the final panel on the centre back of the chair.

I suspect I might end up adding something to the front panels of the arms.





No comments:

Post a Comment