Search This Blog

Sunday 29 November 2020

Post 275 Confirmation and planning, with a little stitching



I made it to the church on time this morning for Niamh and Veronica's confirmation. It was interesting to note the technology mix - an icon of St Margaret of Scotland, below an electronic screed, not to mention the different cultural mix. That's Anglicanism for you!

The service, which included an adult baptism, had a strong community feel to it - a far cry from the dominant images I have from the past, which sadly was very much groups of men inducting young people into their world.
It was good to catch up with Godparents and family friends at morning tea - though I ate too many cupcakes. 

                              The weather had improved remarkably since yesterday's heat. There was a strong breeze, blue skies and a very pleasant 24C. Every mild day is a bonus at this time of the year. 

I spent a couple of hours at Jennifer's place late this afternoon with a small group helping to plan a wake for Susan in late January. 


In between and after these activities I worked on the prototype of a small pouch from the Sashiko square I began yesterday. I liked the bag Lori made last week so much I thought I'd have a go at making something useful out of the Sashiko squares I have. 

Most of the sashiko squares are more interesting than this one, which is why I used it as the first one. it's about 5" square. I think it will make quite a nice little gift with some small thing inside.

The twisted cord didn't work very well. I think perhaps I was a bit distracted while making it.

And finally, tonight I finished the Oak Apple Tree panel for my chair. I am inordinately pleased with this. I think it is the best piece of crewel I have done. As it is to go on the skirt of the chair, you will need to lie on the floor to see it clearly, but the benefit will be seen, I'm sure, in the three pieces I have to do to finish my crewel chair. Two of these are winging their way from Appleby and the last one, the Aesop Frame, will be sent soon. That's the one that will test my needle-working mettle.

It's been a very full and productive day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment