Search This Blog

Monday 30 November 2020

Post 276 mostly experiments.

 

Over the last week of hot weather I have got into the habit of watering the plants before the day gets too hot, filling the water dish and putting out some seed on the little plate. This morning Myrtle was waiting

There was a lot of activity on the building site today. Looked like the concrete floor reinforcement being applied.


I decided today was the day I was going to solve a small problem. One thing I haven't worked out how to do since living on my own is to turn my mattress. I could get the kids to help me, but they are always here after school, and the thought of leaving the bed unmade all day is out of my comfort zone. I decided today I would bite the bullet. I stripped the bed and washed the linen, including the mattress protector, put the quilt back on the bed and planned to ask the kids to help after school. Niamh and Veronica were very happy to help. It took about 3 minutes, then another  4 minutes for me to make the bed. I will now build this in every quarter. Thank you girls.

I went to Frewville to get a few supplies.and make up the ragu for tonight's pasta bake.While the ragu was simmering away I cut  out the next Sashiko square and backed it with cotton. This time I didn't add any interfacing.
Before dinner I blocked the Oak Apple Tree. It's looking very good. When this one is dry I will take the cover off the chair and add the feathers and the three small pieces for the skirt.

  • I also did a trial run on a crocheted square from some of the 4 ply cotton in my stash. There is quite a bit of it - bought when the girls were small with the intention of making summer tops for them. I recently found a pattern that I thought would look good in it. The pattern is designed for 8 ply, so I wanted to test it in 4 ply. I came fairly late to crochet but I can manage squares once I've imprinted the pattern on my hands I'm pleased with this one. I thought it might not be dense enough but Katherine thought it fine. It is a summer blanket  One down, probably about 400-500 to go when it dies.

I had a long conversation with Panayoula after the family had gone this evening. She is retiring very soon and, typically, obsessed with leaving things in order on her exit. Regards it as the only professional thing to do. She and I share many values and beliefs. I'd be doing the same thing.

I had a play with the Sashiko square. I think it's going to look good.

It's way past the time I should have posted this. The turned mattress calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment