Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 December 2020

Post 277 Farewells, Finishes and Fabricated walls

  



I've chosen to start with the (interim) finish today. It speaks of hope and promise as well as history.  The Oak Apple blocking was dry this morning so I took the cover off my crewel chair and arranged the three small pieces on the skirt. I had always intended to use the machine to attach these. It took a bit of manoeuvring, but wasn't too difficult.  

I had originally intended to stitch the feathers around the top by hand,  but decided to try machining them, for strength as much as speed.         
It was an awkward task. My machine is not built for the thickness of upholstery. I got it done  by the end of the day.   The hardest part is getting the cover back on the chair. It's a very tight fit, and no stretch or give in the fabric.. 
 
It's now ready for the last three pieces on the back. Two of those are on their way from The Crewel Work Company, and the last, the Aesop Frame, is ordered. Maybe I can wait till all three are finished before attempting to add any more to the chair. That way I'll only have to take the cover off once more!                              

The most significant part of today was the private farewell to Susan Monks, a gathering of 20 or so family and friends at a White Lady Chapel. Jennifer had prepared cards as a memento and thank you - a lovely gesture and a fine photo for the purpose. 

Jennifer spoke briefly, there was a comfortable Quaker-like silence and we placed gum leaves on the casket.

Vale Susan, friend and colleague.
I had a long conversation with my brother as he drove home from a gig. There's always so much to talk about. How fortunate are we after more than 70 years! 
The building work next door is gaining momentum. Walls are going up - some of them very close to my Eastern balcony. It this corner goes up the full 9 storeys of the building it will block part of my view to the South East.
There is nothing I can do about this but I can change the view I have to the South East from the chair just inside my bedroom, looking over the balcony. I spend time in the chair in the mornings when the light is excellent.. I've worked out a way of shifting a couple of pieces of furniture so my view from the chair is to the North, East where, if it progresses in that corner, the building will not be in my view. I might see if my mattress-turning granddaughters  are up for furniture shifting.
In between these activities today I have plugged away at the sashiko panel I started yesterday. I really love the way the patterns emerge. Even though you can see the printed pattern on the fabric, the intricacies don't emerge until you stitch. I especially like the way the star points emerge at the centre of the figures, and sometimes you see circles and sometimes flowers.

I have a couple of ideas about how to use it. I’ll sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment