Search This Blog

Monday 14 December 2020

Post 291 A bit of Christmas Shopping


I ventured to a shop called Ecolateral this morning, about 5km away. I had not been there before but had ordered some things online a couple of months age that were delivered from there and thought I should check it out. I have been buying my eco-friendly fruit and veg bags and makeup from a shop in Perth. It would be good to find one in Adelaide. I had a couple of Christmas present bits I thought I might find there. I was right, but then I also found what I wasn't looking for - a small, heavy, neoflam  pan and some BonAmi. I haven't seen the latter in years. I've been using Gumption to clean stainless steel, and jumped on the BonAmi. I've been using a much larger Jamie Oliver pan and wishing I had one just big enough to fit a one person meal. Now I do.

I ran into a friend in Ecolateral. Adelaide is indeed a small place.
From there I took myself to Create in Stitch with a list that included some orangy-gold Appletons wool - the range I am missing for Lady Anne's Flowers,  the two DMC Etoile colours I have almost used up and the tin of the latest DMC stranded colours. Samela is waiting on a couple more colours for the tin, so I've ordered that. No hurry. I just like those tins and find them convenient.
Back at home I checked off the bits of Christmas presents I had bought and noticed that there seem to be two doves visiting on and off, youngish ones, one with a dark tail and one lighter. Light Tail seems to know where the seed is kept and stands by or on the container to give me the message. I don't respond.

I made a booking at a Golf Hotel at Normanville in January, the same week as my Adelaide family are staying at nearby Carrickalinga. Most accommodation inthe area is in holiday houses, mostly booked out, and not designed for a person on their own. I have no intention of playing golf!
One of the young assistants at Ecolateral this morning gave me instructions about curing my new pan. I followed the instructions and then used the pan to cook salt and pepper squid for my dinner. It worked well.
I've been working on the last of my sashiko squares today. I decided to work it from the diagonals, which gives a lovely rope pattern. To connect between rows I ended with a circle and a flower in the mix. I just love the way different patterns are visible at different points of the process. It really is an exercise in changing perception.

I had a lovely long email this morning from my friend Christine in Watford England. She has finally had her cataract operations after a tedious and lengthy process of travelling alone, by bus, in the fog and rain, to have Covid tests 3 days before each operation, then back for the operations themselves. She can read large print at the moment in her Tier 2 lockdown.  She is a right trouper! Hopefully her embroidery, drawing and reading will be restored to her soon.

It's been a very warm and windy day here, grey and overcast for most of the day. Sunset, however, thanks to the dissipating cloud, was a treat. Only 29C tomorrow. My window cleaner is coming at 8.00am so I need to be up and dressed in time. Year 12 results are also out tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment