Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 December 2020

Post 291 Productivity - or obsession.

Today was a stitching day. I didn't quite plan the direction it took - but I got carried away. My window cleaners was here before 8.30.  I worked on the sashiko panel while they worked on the windows, and kept going  after they left until it was finished.

 While I was working on it, I was thinking about a gift for a friend I will be seeing tomorrow. We usually exchange presents but she has sent me a card this year and I am not sure if this signals a change in practice. She likes bespoke Christmas tree ornaments so I try to make one for her. I had no good ideas this  year. This morning I found the pattern for a set of tiny Bucilla stockings in cross stitch that I had made years ago. I still had the grid from the recent Certificate Course Workshop on Large Cross Stitch Projects so got the idea of using it to make a tiny stocking for my friend. I thought she'd like one on Joy.

It took me quite a while - several hours. I used DMC Etoile stranded cotton. The sparkle in the thread lends a lift to the embroidery. The word "Joy" is a bit strange. If I were doing it again I'd redesign it.  As it is, I think it's at least indicative. 







It was after 5 pm by the time I finished the cross stitch. I fortunately had the cardboard, template and felt backing stored with the pattern, so I cut out one cardboard and two felt stockings, then the embroidered aida. I folded the aida over the cardboard with some wadding in between. Reluctantly, I followed the instruction to glue it to the cardboard. I also glued a red felt stocking to the back. This is where the instructions end. The stocking is designed as a hanging ornament only. This seems like a waste to me, so when I made the original set I added another felt stocking to the back to form a proper stocking in which a little gift can be placed.  
It's a tight fit, but a chocolate Santa just fits in. A candy cane would be easier, and look better, but chocolate tastes better - and I have one to hand. A twisted chord finishes it. It looks as good as any I made in the past. The Etoile thread I think.

When I got to empty my mailbox there were several Christmas cards and the book I had ordered on my brother's recommendation. It does look interesting. I now have a pile of books waiting to be read.
As if that wasn't enough stitching productivity for one day, I took a plunge and made a little needle keep to put in one of the pouches I've been making. I was given one of these and have wanted to make some for a while. The base is a wine bottle top or something similar. The advantage is that it is shallow, and needles do not disappear into it. I was hoping to make two, but settled for one today!
While watching Morse tonight I folded the sashiko square from this morning into a pouch and added a zip. Like the last one, I put the zip in by hand. It appears to be strong.









The furthest I've been today is to my letterbox. I'm writing this while Lucy Worseley's 2019 Christmas Carol Odyssey is on TV.  


I want to go to bed but it is really interesting - and the carols are lovely.





No comments:

Post a Comment