Search This Blog

Sunday 27 December 2020

Post 303 Largely plant based



After two late nights I made up for lost sleep last night. Breakfast was definitely brunch!

The hopeful visits from the young dove pair and from Turtle went without reward while I played around with the PowerPoint I've been working on. Only when I finished it did I venture out to water the plants and refresh the seed.

This section of the wall garden is doing particularly well.


The purple petunias have come into their own, making up for the greening of the jacarandas, 














although there is still a tiny patch of purple on the one behind us, above the geranium flower against the roof.

Around town, at ground level, agapanthus have taken up the purple cause, but I don't have a photo.

Katherine, Niamh and Veronica called in this afternoon after their shopping trip to finish off the Great Bedding Change. Good to see them. 

After their visit I managed to transfer the philodendron they gave me for Christmas into its pot. 

While dealing with dirt I removed a dead pelargonium from its pot on the front balcony. Disposing of the old soil and dead plant is tricky from a balcony. It took 4 recycling bags and a bit of mess to dispose of one dead plant. I had planted it directly into a ceramic pot - a mistake. It’s easier to dispose or replant from a plastic pot placed inside the ceramic one. 
There are two more I need to deal with, but not today.

Yesterday I watched Stan Grant's One on One interview with Poh Ling Yeow the Adelaide-based  artist, presenter and chef who came to fame through Masterchef. Much of the interview is about identity - Poh's insistence on working out for herself who she is, without reference to expectations or stereotypes of a Malaysian-born woman. I was struck by an image that Poh carries with her, of being in the playground of her first school and seeing the sun glint on the blond hairs of another girl's arm, turning them gold. Poh carried this with her as an image of what she wanted for herself and was never going to get - golden arms. 

It is a fabulous interview, a profound insight into how we can construct and evolve identity with integrity - and the struggles that involves. Both Poh and Stan Grant contribute to our understanding.  For Poh, that moment and its retained image is a realisation of difference. It strikes a chord with me because I hold an image from around the same age - visiting the Botany Post Office with my mother. She was holding my hand as we arrived. At the same time another mother and young girl arrived, similarly holding hands. I think I was 4 years old - prior to going to school. Suddenly, seeing that girl and her mother, I had a flash of insight - that girl was like me, she had a life, could think, feel,  move and do.  The world wasn't me interacting with my family and the places I knew. There were other beings like me in the world. I still hold the image of the four of us converging at the Post Office.

I'm interested in that notion of image, place and revelation.


I caught up on the news while working another crocheted square.











I added a leaf and some stem to the Crewel while watching The Kominsky Method which was OK. I tried Jessica Jones but didn't last 15 minutes. 




I'm heading to bed at 11pm, hoping to get myself into an earlier pattern of sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment