Search This Blog

Monday 11 January 2021

Post 318 Phoenix rises

 I spent much of today working on the Phoenix -  inside, with the aircon on. There are a few touches still to be done - a bead, or a black French knot for the eye, and a row of split stitch around the tail. The pale green on the breast looks better on the linen than in the photo. I'm pretty pleased with it. I think the dark tips on the wing feathers are an improvement, given the colours I have available.


I also read one of the books for our Book Club this coming weekend. It was interesting, "full of twists and turns" and I finished it, with a bit of skimming. I don't much like books that use the perspective of two characters, told in alternative chapters and I think it shirked the exploration of psychological manipulation that the narrative demanded.  

It will certainly make for lively discussion on Sunday.
 
I decided it was time I explored the hotel beyond my rooms. Given it was 35C outside, my exploration involved walking to the dining room to book a table for a late lunch, then walking back again at 2pm.  

The dining room and bar are large, and in the style of a sporting club rather than a hotel. The view is much the same as from my balcony.  My duck salad was excellent. The affogato wasn't bad. 
On the way back to my room I noticed a bookcase of books for exchange. There was a Minette Walters that I haven't read, but I left it there. I really liked the vase of leukadendrons on top of the bookcase. They are native to South Africa, but grow well in South Australia.


I also began reading Wallflowers and Witches - got through the introduction, the chapter on the Sydney Society of Women Painters and the one on Dulcie Deamer.

By sunset it had cooled down a bit and there was a lot of fast-moving cloud. No rain, of course, in sight. 

There is one bushfire in the State today, at Lucindale in the South East. 100 people were evacuated and the danger has apparently eased since the cooler change this evening.

Tomorrow, my birthday, promises to be a bit cooler.  We have a lunch booking at the beach cafe - in my view the only thing to do if you have a January birthday in Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment