Search This Blog

Saturday 16 January 2021

Post 323 Chasing patterns

First job this morning was the washing from my time away. 

I had just hung it out when I had a message from Brigid, who is still, with the rest of her family, at Carrickalinga, asking me if I would be able to buy this pattern from Spotlight as she and Niamh want to make a dress for a party when they get back to Adelaide on Monday.

My online check indicated there were copies at Trinity Gardens, Melrose Park and Alberton in 'limited numbers'.  Tomorrow my book club meets not far from Trinity Gardens but I decided I go today when I had the time. 

Spotlight pattern information online is often inaccurate. Customers serve themselves with patterns from the file drawers. I doubt they  stock take very often.

So I set off on a pattern quest.


I went first to Trinity Gardens, about 5km NE of me. It's closest, and also the largest and newest Spotlight. They didn't have the pattern.

I was quite close to Ecolateral, where I had seen a cookery book before Christmas that I nearly bought for Fionn, so I went there and bought it.It's a bit odd, but I think there are some recipes he will like.

I then drove to Melrose Park, South of the city, where Spotlight had one copy of the pattern. but in size 16-22, not the 8-14 I needed.


In for a penny, in for a pound, and by now I was not to be defeated, so off I went to Alberton, West of the city.
And Lo! they had the pattern. In the right size.

By now I was well aware that Spotlight has one of its regular pattern sales on. Until tomorrow, you can buy any 4 patterns (except Vogue) for $20. If you buy less than 4 you pay the regular price. which is $27. 

I didn't want 4 patterns. Spotlight were essentially paying me to take them. I spent half an hour trying to choose 3 more patterns. Using the pattern books was not very helpful, as so many were not in the cabinets.

I also have no idea of what Brigid and Niamh might like. In the end I chose these two for Niamh and Brigid

and this one for myself. These are all objects I could make without a pattern, but hey, now I have a pattern!














By the time I actually had the pattern it was after 2pm and I was hungry. I drove a few more kilometres to the beach but the Grange Cafe was bursting with people, so I kept going and headed home. I stopped at Findon on the way and found the Oreo cafe, very clean and well Covid organised so I ordered a fisherman's basket and a lime milkshake.

Back at home I needed a coffee and a sit down (yes, a Bex and a good lie down would not have been out of order!) but eventually moved myself to pay a bit of attention to my front balcony. This has no tap, so watering requires filling watering cans. It also gets dusty over time, especially the leaves of the Yukka. 

I wiped them down with the plant-cleaning glove.

I brought this quite large Yukka with me from the Hindmarsh House. It was in the garden in a pot. I have cut it back but left one tall branch that threatens to overbalance the pot. I knew it was time to remove it, but put it off because I liked the height. It was, however, drooping a bit. 

Today was the day. There is plenty of new growth lower down, so I took the plunge and cut 












I cut the branch into three and planted the pieces in this large empty container.
The  three pieces I planted in the identical container next to it last time I trimmed the Yukka are thriving. I will soon have a Yukka jungle on my balcony - which will be great.


I also found a temporary place on a frangipani to hang the chime that Fionn gave me for my birthday. I'd like to find a way to hang it on the inside of my balcony window. I have an idea, but need some help to do it.

After that I needed to rest a bit and crochet a square before bringing in the washing..                                                                                                                                                                                          I revived enough to complete the next hillock while watching Midsomer Murders on the ABC.
It was a tiring day -not as many boxes ticked as I once would have managed, but I'm pretty satisfied.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment