Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 January 2021

Post 320 Not much to show but a glow

 

I spent much of the day reading the latest of Bruce Beckham's Skelgill series set in Cumbria.  I discovered these in 2018, on my way to a retreat in the Lake District after searching for crime fiction set in the area. It turned out to be a great series to read while there, with a strong sense of place, engaging detection puzzles and characters you want to meet again. I was delighted therefore, when I discovered number 16 in the series, published only 4 days ago.

It was a great read. Beckham skilfully gives DS Jones a major role in this one, seemingly preparing for a series shift in emphasis. We follow her thought processes, including her doubts and insecurities. I really enjoyed it.
There was a cool breeze which did not deter the golfers. The pool was quiet in the morning but had plenty of activity in the afternoon.  I ventured out to move my car back to its allocated parking space, in which there was an alien car when I returned yesterday. 

If I were a painter I'd have a go at painting this bit of my view.  These houses are certainly nothing special in architectural terms but they have a very interesting geometric form in silhouette, that both echoes and contrasts with the shoreline, especially at dusk. Those strange points on the row of houses are in fact the windows on the gable rooves (yes, I know roofs has been standard since the 80s, but my habits were set long before that. It's archaic, but permissible!).
I eased myself out of Skelgill's Cumbria by crocheting another square. 
I quite like the effect of the two neutral colours.











I came across an eco-friendly suggestion for these  circles  as reusable make-up removal pads. Having reached an age when I have time to make them, I no longer use make-up, so I won't be taking up this idea.

I also added a couple of leaves and the rest of the stem under the Phoenix. It looks a little dark in the photo, less so in reality. It will balance out with the flower.

Tomorrow.

The sun sets over the headland which is on the very edge of the view from my balcony here, so there is not much chance of variation. It provides at least a lovely glow.



No comments:

Post a Comment