Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 January 2021

Post 327 Car and crewel

 

Well, so much for two hours of embroidery while my car was being serviced! I did take my hoop and wools (and my crochet) but also added this book to my bag. This is to be the basis of my presentation to the World Embroidery Study Group in April -the one I was reminded about when I sent out the program again yesterday.

When I was settled at CMI Toyota, I took it out to look at, then spent the whole two hours reading and taking notes.

Trudie Strobel is a remarkable woman who as a child was marched 800 miles with her mother to a ghetto, then a Nazi work camp. They were spared because her mother was a skilled needlewoman who could mend uniforms and clothes. When the war ended they spent 5 years in a Displacement Camp before being shipped to the USA. Trudie eventually found a way of dealing with her trauma through narrative embroidery.

When I got home I decided I should begin the PowerPoint while it was fresh in my mind, so spent the entire afternoon on it.

At least I now have the job done and copied to my WES group memory stick, ready for our April meeting.

There were no problems with the car. It was the 70,000km service and I have done 22 400 km so I didn't expect trouble and didn't get it.

This morning I was wearing blue jeans and a flowered faun top. For some reason I decided to change from the black sandals I wear most days and dig out a pair of brown sandals I haven't worn for several years. They work better with my old vinyl covered orthotics so I put those in. All good to the car service.

When I got up from the chair in which I’d been reading, to collect my car, my sandal was flopping around. I couldn't stop to examine it as the service assistant was ahead of me and I didn't want to hold him up.  Once in the car I decided to come straight home instead of going to the supermarket as I had intended. At home I discovered the sole had split clean in half! I couldn't think of any way to recycle these. The sole is rubber and not repairable. I do not want bits of leather for any project. 

In the bin.


It's been hot today - 34C and heading to 41C on Sunday. That’s not what I had hoped for with family coming from Canberra for the weekend.

I decided I could wait until tomorrow for the shopping. I had missed a parcel while out this morning. Tomorrow will do to pick that up too.                                                                                                                                                                                I didn’t finish the Phoenix piece, but made good progress. I finished the curled leaf edge which is now under the hoop. I forgot to photograph it before moving the hoop for the last time.Tomorrow should see this finished.
It doesn't seem like a lot from the photographs, but it has been a day of considerable achievement.




No comments:

Post a Comment