Search This Blog

Saturday 23 January 2021

Post 330 Family

 I woke to find this photograph had been sent to me by a second cousin I had communicated with a couple of years ago through Ancestry.com. The photo is of my cousin's  grandfather, - my maternal grandmother's brother, Henry William Bearcroft. I have several photos of him, but none in his naval uniform. 

My maternal grandparents migrated to Australia in November 1929. Their son Albert was given a Brownie box camera for his 15th birthday in June 1929 and used it to take photos of all the family they were leaving behind. Albert worked in a factory when they arrived in Australia but eventually persuaded a Sydney street photographer to teach him how to develop photos. Albert went on to become a photographer with his own business. Photos, and letters were the only link my grandparents had to 'back home' as they were for many migrant families.

Receiving the photo reminded me of a family research mystery on which I had made a little progress at the end of 2019. 2020 pushed it right out of my mind. It's time, I think, to return to it.

The main event of the day was, of course, the arrival of Alison and Karl from Canberra today. There are no photographs of note. I was unsure whether visitors could meet planes at the airport, and the airport website was no help. In the end we decided on curbside pickup, which worked smoothly. Adelaide arrivals must have registered ahead of time for entry and are met on arrival but a customs-like arrangement where they are asked a series of questions about their health and recent locations before they are allowed in. This was, apparently, well staffed and efficient as well as thorough.

We had several hour to relax and catch up at my place before heading to Katherine and Anthony's for dinner. It was a joyous and animated evening with lots of stories told. Alison and Karl brought Christmas presents which were opened, discussed and displayed for all to see.


I was privileged with birthday present as well. These amazing eramic teapot earings cwere in an even more amazing Fair Isle bag that Alison had knitted. 

I'm not sure which I like best, the bag or the earrings (I'm still wearing the earrings!)
There is also a coat-dress from Magpie Goose in this fabulous fabric.

I'm a bit embarrassed about including photos of my own presents, but I was too engaged to take photos, so I'm going with what I have access to!

As predicted, I didn't get much stitching done. I did add a little blue silk to the Blue Wren.















I also managed to water the plants this morning (It was 38C in Adelaide today) and found a bloom on the tree begonia I took from Gawler to Hindmarsh in 1984 and then from Hindmarsh here. I like those continuities, however small. 



No comments:

Post a Comment