Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 June 2020

Post 104 : Adolescent Emergence

Turtle once again prompted me to scatter some seed and remained on the balcony while I did. He was, however wary, and flew away when I moved too quickly.  He was back shortly afterwards with Myrtle and they demolished most of the seed before flying off to other dovey activities.

Some time later I noticed another hesitant arrival.  It looked a bit scruffy. It was smallish. Was it Myrtle wet and dishevelled from an encounter with a sprinkler?  I was inside, observing from behind glass. When I tried to slowly open the door, the dove flew away, but returned a few minutes later. I could only photograph from behind glass and at a distance. Very poor photos.
I am pretty sure this is the adolescent bird from a couple of weeks ago. The feathers are still dark grey and not smooth. There is, however, a collar of spots beginning to emerge - they are just visible on the left hand photos.

This bird was skittish and nervous. It fed on some seeds but wasn't confident to stay long.

I think it is our adolescent in the process of becoming an independent adult bird.

I hope so, anyway.


It was cold today - a maximum of 14C.  I was expecting a couple of parcel deliveries so didn't go out. They didn't fit in the letterbox so I needed to be here to let the postman into the building. I worked away on the scarf and managed to complete the next band - the green one.If I can keep up this pace I will have it finished in two weeks.  At the end of the next band I will be half way!

I went to friends' place for dinner tonight. So pleasant to spend time with friends and try to make sense of the world in which we live.


As I drove home the moon had just risen. It is difficult to photograph without tripod but I managed to get this impression from my balcony.



I took the owl to dinner with me. I can do this and talk which I can't with the Fair Isle knitting. This is slow progress, but progress nevertheless. Jennfer thinks it looks maternal- she's probably right.

There is another one on the other side of the bag. I might colour that one in with water-soluble fabric pencils, which is that the bag was designed for.

Thanks to those who offered opinion on my colour choices for the remaining Nicola birds. It looks like One of each - but I want to finish the owl and the Fair Isle before I embark on them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment