Search This Blog

Monday 19 October 2020

Post 235 Bookended by doves.

 

I ignored the early morning cooing outside my bedroom but was ready to cooperate just before 9 am when Turtle appeared on my balcony rail. He is still the only one of my dovian visitors who does not fly away however carefully I slide open the door to distribute seed. He was not relaxed about it this morning. He remained alert but stayed. 


He took his time picking at the seed, staying in the sun, exploring the edges of the distribution and drinking from the bowl. He surveyed the scene from the rail for a good few minutes before flying off across the roofs of the houses behind us. I suspect that Myrtle is holding the fort on some eggs or hatchlings somewhere.








I went to Frewville early to buy a  cooked duck and a few other bits and pieces for dinner tonight. They had Tommy Ruff fillets so I got a couple for my dinner tomorrow. It was a lovely Adelaide day, sunny and just warm enough. It’s nearly Jacaranda time.

After I’d deboned the duck, chopped all the vegetables, ham and twiggy sticks for the stir fry and put all the bones on to boil for stock (duck soup for Wednesday),  I  got stuck into the dove feather. 


After watching Turtle this morning I wasn’t happy with the darker pink I added last night So found a colour closer to Turtle’s and put it over the top. The mauve isn’t quite right either. The pink on Turtle's head is bluer than the pink on his chest,  but not quite that blue. Might change it. 

The kids are all on a countdown to the end of a significant school year. This is Brigid’s last week of school. Two weeks of swatvac then final exams. It is Niamh and Veronica’s last weeks of primary school. 
Their end of year concert is being videoed in bits and compiled into a film rather than a live performance.
Fionn has chosen his Year 11 subjects for next year and expects to finish for the year after his exams in six weeks. Big changes all around.

The meal turned out well. I was resolved to photograph it tonight but, as usual, forgot. The sun went down quite gently tonight with no sign of the moon. The bats were later. I could see them in the rapidly fading light returning to their tree. Too dark to photograph.


I've made quite a few changes to the finished dove feather. The colour here is a bit darker than the actual. I had really good light this afternoon, sitting with my back to the western sun. It showed up a lot of faults in the previous work. Artificial light is never as good as good sunlight. Photographs show up problems I don't pick with my eye.


This leaves me with one more to do. I haven't made up my mind yet what it will be. Another galah would be good, but perhaps there is an unrepresented bird that I should include.

I'll sleep on it.





 





No comments:

Post a Comment