Search This Blog

Saturday 24 October 2020

Post 240 Plants and stitches.


I managed to get up and organised for the Certificate workshop this morning - thermos of coffee, lunch, the required thread and usual scissors, needles. Fortunately Christine Bishop was taking the workshop, on Deruta embroidery, and supplying the linen on which we were to work. There were 16 of us there - pretty much back to pre-Covid level.

Deruta embroidery derives from the town of the same name in Italy. There are three styles, or techniques, two antique, one developed between the two World Wars. We were working on one of the antique forms, a counted technique worked on 18 count linen in  a neutral colour.

Christine had a couple of physical examples to show us, as well as some on the screen and notes which outlined the technique and some motifs to be worked into a sample.  

We began with a simple rectangle in the basic stitch, then attempted an L shaped design with a tricky component and then on to a couple of others without the trickiness. 
                                                                                     
 I plan to finish the sampler, but it's not a style I see myself using to create projects.
The greatest excitement of the day for me was this bag of cuttings brought for me by Margaret. Margaret reads this blog and told me on Thursday that she has a number of scented geraniums in her garden, as well as red, white and pink pig face. Today she brought me a generous sample of all of them. It is really generous of her. She did not have a lot of spare time yesterday but managed to gather this bonanza for me.
As soon as I got home, I found pots, some empty and some with space behind other plants, divided them into cuttings and planted them. There is another group that I have placed in water to root. There are rose, lemon rose, nutmeg and pineapple geraniums.  If even half of them grow my garden will be blessed.  A thousand thanks, Margaret.

I spent the evening at Katherine and Anthony's as usual. Very delicious lamb cooked on the barbecue with potatoes, carrots, parsnips and broccolini. Brigid's last day at school went well as did the primary girls' Bookweek celebrations.  Brigid's secret outfit, made from one of her uniforms, was a pair of shorts and a waistcoat. The shorts were cut from the lower part of the uniform and the waistcoat from the top part, with sleeves removed and buttons opened up down the front. It worked really well. Again, since this blog is in the public domain, I am not going to post a photo.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             This evening I worked a fourth sample from today's workshop.   Unfortunately I did not position the third example well and had to undo part of it to fit in the arrow. If I wish to add the hem (which I do) I will need to redo both motifs before I block it in order to accommodate the hem.    That's not a job for tonight.  

Tomorrow I have book club in the morning and Sit'n Stitch in the afternoon. In the meantime - sleep.                                                                                                   







No comments:

Post a Comment