Search This Blog

Saturday 31 October 2020

Post 247 Spoilt for choice

 

Turtle showed up this morning, looking plump again and strutting around looking for seed. He tolerated my opening the door but flew away when I reached for the seed. I was reluctant to distribute any this morning as the balcony was due to be washed down.

However I relented a little when he returned half an hour later. He was still large. I distributed a small amount, most of which he consumed eagerly, with a few breaks to survey the outside scene while looking back at the seed as if weighing up the risk and reward.

He consumed most of the seed before departing. I swept up the rest in readiness for cleaning.


These photos are, of course, composites. There was only one visitor. It was a bit windy which seems to be the trigger for Turtle looking stocky.









The jacaranda has begun to turn purple. I do hope the marigolds last a while. They are going to look fabulous against the jacaranda when it's in full bloom.

I had a fight with my printer this morning, trying to print a couple of articles I had found on Viking and Anglo-Saxon Embroidery. I had tried to print them double-sided and the printer rebelled. I thought I would have to call for back-up, but in the end I sacrificed the double side saving and emerged triumphant with two single-sided printed articles. Not, however, before I had ink under my fingernails that will take a while to remove. I'm expanding from the Icelandic workshop into related areas.

I didn't block the Rabbits this morning. I decided to wait until the other is finished and block them together. I'll need to handle it to ensure a match with the next one, so might as well wait. I tried them on the chair (without ink on my hands)  to see how it will work before setting up the hoop for the last one. 

I forgot to mention yesterday that I had posted another Baby Boomer Teacher Conversation.

On Wednesday I discussed with my stitching friends the project I had been planning in January to create an embroidery about the bushfires. I had managed to source both fabric and threads within Australia - no mean feat - and had created a design outline. Then Covid hit and rather overshadowed the project. The Guild exhibition for which it was intended was postponed until next year. I put it aside to think about whether to abandon, adapt or continue. My friends' advice was that it was important to tell the bushfire story. So today I got out the project to re-examine it.


I did quite a good job of gathering the materials (some of the woollen threads no longer in production, from eBay) but I think the design needs a bit more work!

While getting this out I came across more than a few projects in a similar state. I might be a finisher once I start something, but I am also a conceptualiser who often buys a kit or assembles materials but doesn't start the embroidery at all. I've now got too many choices!.

Dinner at K&A’s tonight. Fionn and Veronica at friends’ places. Lots of meat and meaty discussion. There were a few families out trick or treating. Not something seen here until the last decade or so.

At home I caught the end of Endeavour and the end of the Queensland election summary. Two female leaders behaving and responding well.
I’ve progressed the shawl. It's about 90cm across the needles at the moment. Reckon there’s about a third of the ball of wool left, so I’m guessing around another 15cm in length.

Time to make a concerted effort to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment