Search This Blog

Thursday 10 December 2020

Post 287, Pilates and friends

 

It was a warm, pleasant day in Adelaide - ahead of rising temperatures over the weekend. I had three commitments today, beginning with Pilates at 12. I spent time this morning catching up on emails and bills as well as reading a bit more of Ian Rankin's A Song for the Dark Times, one of the books for our Book Club meeting this weekend and finding some more resources on Anglo-Saxon embroidery.

Pilates was good.  I improved on my balance exercise which pleases me.





After Pilates I had arranged to meet,  at the Queen St Cafe, down the road from the Pilates Studio, a neighbour from my old street in Hindmarsh. We hadn't caught up all year, so had a lot of ground to cover.  Niamh and I have been going to this cafe for milkshakes after Junior Embroiderers. My only criticism is that they don't have lime milkshakes. Today I began my campaign to get them to get lime flavouring.  The waitress says someone else asked about it - so there's a chance.

I had their grilled salmon, which was great. Branka had the pulled pork. We both regret not being able to swim laps this year, but we are also in agreement that we are fortunate to have our families in Australia (one of her daughters got back from work in Europe just in time) and to have our health. We've agreed to catch up more frequently next year.

From Queen Street I went to Jennifer's place to sort out my crochet. Jennifer  had been to her hairdresser today and got lots of expert advice on the impact of  health issues this year on her hair. It looked great. She also has flowers and Christmas decorations in abundance. I should have thought to take photos. Some of the decorations are very old family heirlooms.

We analysed our respective crochet squares. Jennifer solved the size difference.  We each worked the first round. Hers, the white one, was larger than my pink one.

 I am using an old crochet hook that I inherited from either my mother or grandmother - I can't be sure. It is marked as a Size 10. This should translate as 3.25 mm. Jennifer, however was using a 3.00 mm (hers on right), which was clearly larger than my hook (left). I therefore came home with Jennifer's hook and will try again using it. I'm pretty sure this will solve the size difference.

I can't explain the 10 on my hook.
I stopped off at Officeworks on the way home to get more ink cartridges so I can print off yesterday's email to the World Embroidery Study Group for a couple of members who can't get photos on email. I bought a few other small things and hadn't, for once, brought a bag from the car ,so purchased one of their paper bags made from recycled material. Their advertising is clever.                                                                                                                                   My Christmas cards from the printer were in my letterbox when I got home so I can get on with writing in them ready for posting on Monday. 
Tonight I have worked a square with the 3.00mm hook. On the left is the result on top of Jennifer's version. Mine is still smaller, but not so much. 

To the right is the one I worked with the old hook. laid on top of both. I'll work a few more with the 3mm hook to see if I have consistency and sufficient density.

The building work continues next door. The walls are rising and I'm fairly sure they will continue the full nine storeys which will entirely block out my view currently in the photo on the left, looking south east..    You can see the white walls of the building.   

                                                    
Fortunately it won't block my view to the north east (right).







And sunset over the Square remains a source of endless variety and joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment