Search This Blog

Sunday 6 December 2020

Post 282 A lot of activity but not much to show


Today was the day of the Art Auction. I had set my heart on buying one of the two paintings by Christine Lawrence, an art teacher who taught with Jim at Craigmore High School and taught two of my grandchildren at primary school. I thought it would be appropriate for one of her paintings to adorn their family's walls.

I decided to go to the live auction rather than follow online. I'm glad I did. It gave me a good sense of the interest, prices and flow between on site, Internet and phone bidding.

Prices were generally high. In-house bidders were distanced and in booked seats. Water and sealed packets of slices of cake were distributed.

I didn't get either painting I was after.


This one, Heggie's Vineyard was predicted at $1800-$2700 and sold for $6200. I think it would have kept going to $10,000 had anyone hung in longer, so determined was one bidder. 







The price guide for the other, smaller painting was $1800-$2500 and it sold for $2700. I stopped at $2600. I'm disappointed, but not regretful. It's great there is so much interest. Niamh is apparently working on the statistics of the difference between predicted and actual prices. I'll report on her findings tomorrow.
Before I went to the auction I finished reading my book, phoned my friend Lorraine and we arranged to meet for lunch before Christmas.After the auction I went to dinner at friends and delivered a blow-up mattress they wanted to borrow. Ken had cooked a pasta dish and a lemon syrup cake for desert. We had plenty to catch up on.  Great to just relax with friends.                                                                                         I managed to finish this sashiko square. I like the way the Wonderfil thread worked.

This is my next one. I'm hoping tomorrow to have time to drop in to Riverlea Quilts to see if they have any other colour thread that would work.

I also need to get some eggs for tomorrow's dinner and a few supplies for the last of my family dinners this year. School finishes the Friday until the 27th January.



No comments:

Post a Comment